Friday, August 22, 2008

Doug Brown's Colours opens Thursday, August 28th at the Emporium Gallery


Doug Brown's Colours opens at the Emporium Gallery (3035 St. Antoine Ouest, #74)on THURSDAY, AUGUST 28TH from 7PM to 11PM. The show will also be open from Friday, August 29th to Sunday, August 30th from 12PM to 6PM. Private viewings will be available by appointment on Monday, August 31st through Wednesday, September 3rd.

About Colours-
Colours will mark Toronto-based visual artist Doug Brown's exhibition debut in Montreal. Featuring oversized stencils, paintings, sculptures and mixed media pieces, Colours is a multifarious yet stylistically cohesive exhibition that brims with Brown's signature coloration, boldness and penchant for mystical, mythical, folkloric and ethnic imagery. Dazzling, tactile and mammoth, Colours will intrigue the senses.

Artist Statement-
I am subconsciously inspired by the randomness that I see in my day to day life in Toronto- and, this randomness becomes somewhat of a pulp in my mind. I do not feel inclined to paint or create per se. Rather, I feel an urge to expel this subconscious pulp and connect the aforementioned through colour. I just want to remove this pulp from my head- which I do artistically. It is what it is, I just want people to understand me through my art- without having to explain what my art is or what my art means.

About Doug Brown-
Doug Brown (b. 1980, Canada) is a Toronto-based visual artist. Very much multi-disciplinary with regards to his artworks, Brown is known for his bold, vibrant and oftentimes oversized stencils, paintings, sculptures and mixed media pieces. Having already exhibited in numerous Canadian cities (most recently in Vancouver as part of the launch event for the paperback version of Beautiful Losers), Brown is continually taking his artworks to the masses- intriguing exhibition attendees with the visual onslaught of his artworks' patterns, characters and tactility. Doug's website can be seen here.

Should you need more information, please visit the Emporium Gallery website here or click on the eflier above. Hope to see you there, Ben

Labels: ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home